David Energy is creating a new kind of energy company. Traditional Retail Electricity Providers are outdated, opaque, and painful for customers to engage with. We use software to monitor our customers’ real-time energy usage, and we aggregate and analyze that data to maximize the value they get from their energy assets (such as battery storage, HVAC, and solar) via participation in energy markets. Our mission is to give energy customers greater transparency and control while creating a cheaper, cleaner, more reliable electricity grid.
Our success will depend on technology to properly dispatch and manage users’ assets (such as battery storage, HVAC, and solar) in energy markets, and optimizing assets’ value stacks in real-time to provide the customer with the most value possible. We are looking for an experienced software engineering leader who can spearhead the development of our platform as well as lay the foundation for building a world-class software organization through establishing best practices and hiring a team as the company grows.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate, hands on leader with a desire to stay technical and code early on before focusing on scaling the organization. We want someone with an innate curiosity who would enjoy getting up to speed on energy quickly in order to approach this sector in a new way.
As VP of Engineering, you will be creating an energy management platform that is a first of its kind. The role reports to the CTO and will be located at our HQ in our Brooklyn, NY offices. To read more about our vision: Introducing David Energy.
- Own engineering process to maximize velocity and code quality. Define the engineering organization, best practices, estimation, manage technical risk and debt, and own project management for the team.
- Participate in the design and review of all data science initiatives including machine learning and forecasting systems.
- Oversee scaling and maintenance of backend cloud infrastructure.
- Work cross-functionally with business teams. Collaborate with product to decompose requirements into technical tasks.
- Recruit, mentor, inspire and develop engineering teams in New York. Set goals and manage the performance of the overall engineering team.
- Unify data from building systems, sensors, APIs, and other sources; design and build a database solution for analyzing key performance indicators (KPIs) in the energy sector.
- Build cost-of-service models to understand the financial cost of serving our customers, identify ways to drive efficiencies from our stack.
- 5+ years experience as an Engineering Leader
- Familiar with or able to learn quickly about building systems and IoT sensors, their data, and analysis of it. (HVAC, occupancy, temperature, energy meters, etc.)
- Strong Communication and Interpersonal skills
- Passion for designing and delivering mission critical code and products
- BS in Computer Science
- Strong network in the NYC tech scene and ability to use relationships to recruit great talent across North America
- Accountability-minded. Can create a culture of healthy accountability in the team. Can balance code quality and speed to market. Been through a startup before
- Familiarity with or passion for energy sector and market
- Join a remote team with the option to work from our offices in Brooklyn, New York
- Group medical and dental insurance
- Flexible vacation/PTO policy
- 401k plan