David Energy is creating a new kind of energy company. Traditional Retail Electricity Providers are outdated, opaque, and painful for customers to engage with. We are using software driven solutions to create an entirely new way of doing business in this space and build a category defining company. Our mission is to give energy customers greater transparency and control while creating a cheaper, cleaner, more reliable electricity grid.
Our success will depend on technology to properly dispatch and manage users’ assets (such as battery storage, HVAC, and solar) in energy markets, and optimizing assets’ value stacks in real-time to provide the customer with the most value possible. We are looking for an experienced machine learning engineer who can spearhead the development of our platform and machine learning algorithms, as well as lay the foundation for building a world-class software organization through establishing best practices and hiring a team as the company grows.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate, hands on leader with a desire to stay technical and code early on before focusing on scaling the organization. We want someone with an innate curiosity who would enjoy getting up to speed on energy quickly in order to approach this sector in a new way.
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer, you will be creating an energy management platform that is a first of its kind. The role reports to the CTO and will be located at our HQ in our Brooklyn, NY offices.
- Participate in the design and review of all data science initiatives including machine learning and forecasting systems.
- Build models and programs to predict building demand and onsite energy generation through analysis of data from building management system, weather, and other similar systems to aid in reducing energy consumption.
- Oversee set up and maintenance of backend cloud infrastructure.
- Work cross-functionally with business teams. Collaborate with product to decompose requirements into technical tasks.
- Assist in writing algorithms to properly dispatch assets such as batteries based on energy market signals and predicted user energy demand.
- Unify data from building systems, sensors, APIs, and other sources; design and build a database solution for analyzing key performance indicators (KPIs) in the energy sector.
- Be cognizant of cost-of-service models to understand the financial cost of serving our customers, identify ways to drive efficiencies from our stack.
- Own engineering process to maximize velocity and code quality. Define the engineering organization, best practices, estimation, manage technical risk and debt, and own project management for the ML team.
- Recruit, mentor, inspire and develop engineering teams in New York. Set goals and manage the performance of the overall ML team
- 4+ years experience as an ML Engineer
- Familiar with or able to learn quickly about building systems and IoT sensors, their data, and analysis of it. (HVAC, occupancy, temperature, energy meters, etc.)
- Strong Communication and Interpersonal skills
- Passion for designing and delivering mission critical code and products
- BS in Computer Science or Applied Math
- MS/PhD in Computer Science or Applied Math
- Industry experience applying ML algorithms
- Previous experience as a Software Engineer
- Strong network in the NYC tech scene and ability to use relationships to recruit great talent
- Accountability-minded. Can create a culture of healthy accountability in the team. Can balance code quality and speed to market. Been through a startup before
- Familiarity with or passion for energy sector and market